Name:
Location: United States

A New Yorker relocated to Florida. I have fifteen years in the IT industry, with stints in product management, database management, application programming... I've been a CIO, a consultant, a software evangelist... one of these days I'll write up a proper profile.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Opinion - The Danish Cartoons/Jyllands-Posten/Muslim Brouhaha

Frankly, I think both sides are wrong. If you're a Muslim, the cartoons are more than insulting, they're idolatry. That, however, is no excuse for kidnappings (one so far that I've read of) and violence. A violent reaction is worse than the original provocation.

I think the U.S. press is concentrating so much on the freedom of opinion angle that they're not seeing the whole picture. I came across one blogger this morning (Cynapse, at Cynics Unlimited) whom I thought had an excellent column worth a link.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jørgen Veisdal said...

Thanks for the post on my blog btw, I like your blog!

Being a Norwegian myself, I think the problem is like always, religion. Yes, we do have freedom of speech in this country, and ofcourse the patriotic Americans have to blow it all up with their usual "Liberty and justice for all".

I don't think it's that simple though. The simple fact is that for people in this region to start trying to kill Norwegian soldiers because of this, just goes to show that they don't know of other ways to respond to stuff like this, this is all they know. In closing, just think over how many billions of kroners and lives a country like Norway has given for peace in this region. We've been in the front of the offence all along with peacemakers and help for all of them. You'd think they'd take that into consideration.

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home